Long Island Uber Accident Lawyer
Ridesharing services like Uber and Lyft have just recently begun clearing up the liability issues that come with an accident involving one of their drivers. But that does not mean that recovering the compensation you need will be easy. For help after an accident, call a Long Island Uber accident attorney at Goldstein & Bashner today. Our experienced auto accident attorneys can help hold the negligent party responsible for any damages caused and ensure that your rights are protected throughout the entirety of the legal claims process. En Español.
There are several possible sources of insurance coverage in the event of a New York rideshare accident. These include:
- The rideshare driver’s insurance policy
- The other driver’s automobile insurance policy
- Your own insurance
Insurance for Passengers
In most cases, Uber and Lyft’s insurance companies slice up the situation into four distinct blocks of time.
- When a driver is not on the app.
- When a driver has the app open and is waiting to match with a rider
- When a driver to heading to pick up a rider
- When a driver has a rider in the car
However, Lyft and Uber’s insurance policies do not cover New York drivers. Instead, the New York City Taxi & Limousine Commission (TLC) requires all New York rideshare drivers to carry commercial insurance.
Just like no-fault insurance will cover you in your own car, the rideshare driver’s first-party benefits will cover any injuries you sustain.
As a Long Island Uber accident lawyer can explain, you can also use your own first-party benefits to cover your injuries.
Accidents Involving Rideshare Drivers
The driver’s commercial insurance policy will cover your injuries. Under the New York City Taxi & Limousine Commission’s requirements, all drivers must have at least $100,000 per person in liability coverage.
This means you should have at least $100,000 to cover your injuries. However, because New York is a no-fault state, you will first turn to your personal injury protection (PIP) coverage. If your injuries are serious, you can file against the driver.
How an Uber Accident Attorney Can Help
Fault in a rideshare accident can be complicated and insurers will do what they can to avoid paying you the compensation you deserve.
Our Long Island Uber accident attorneys have the experience necessary to help you win your case. Here are just a few of the ways we will help you with your claim:
- Collect evidence: We will collect all necessary evidence, such as the police report, eyewitness testimony, and surveillance video. We also work with accident reconstructionists to determine exactly how your accident occurred if the other party disputes liability.
- Value your case: There is no standard value for an accident case. We will examine your medical bills and pay stubs, as well as work with vocational and medical experts to determine an appropriate value for your claim.
- Handle communication with insurers: It is easy to say or do something to jeopardize your right to compensation. We will handle all communication with the insurers to ensure you do not make a mistake that might reduce or invalidate your claim.
- Build your defense: In some cases, you might have contributed to your own injuries (e.g., you were not wearing a seat belt, you were distracted, etc.). If this is the case, we will build a defense against these accusations to recover the most compensation possible.
- Negotiate with insurers: Insurers have one goal — to pay out as little as possible. To do this, many companies offer low settlements hoping that accident victims will accept whatever they can get. We will negotiate every offer until we believe the insurer is offering you a fair settlement.
- Represent you in court: In many cases, insurers simply refuse to offer victims the compensation they deserve. While many might back down and just accept what the insurer is offering, we will not. If the insurer will not give you the compensation you deserve, we are not afraid to take your case to court.