Road Rage Accidents in Long Island
Most Long Island drivers are familiar with road rage. Whether it be screaming at someone on the Southern State Parkway or honking your horn at a driver going too slow on Sunrise Highway, road rage can be dangerous. The Department of Transportation estimates that nationwide, almost 66% of car accidents are at least partially caused by aggressive driving. With that said if you or your property has been damaged due to an aggressive driver, an auto accident attorney in Long Island can assist in filing an injury claim and recovering compensation.
Tips For Avoiding Driving Aggressively
You can avoid being an aggressive driver by following these tips:
- Don’t drive if you are frustrated or depressed. This can cause you to become distracted and irritated against other vehicles.
- Leave yourself plenty of time. Many people speed, switch lanes and drive more aggressively when in a rush to reach their destination on time.
- Use blinkers when changing lanes, and do not cut people off.
- Do not show any hand or facial gestures to other drivers.
- Always drive cautiously.
- Never drive when you are under the influence, of drugs or alcohol.
- Avoid tailgating. This is caused by a vehicle driving too closely behind another vehicle.
- Avoid flashing your headlights to other vehicles.
Many times you may not be the aggressive driver but need to avoid one.
Spotting An Aggressive Driver
Follow these tips to spot an aggressive driver:
- Look out for drivers who change lanes frequently.
- If you are in front of an aggressive driver, slowly change lanes.
- Try to avoid any eye contact with an aggressive driver.
Road rage is an increasing factor among drivers of all ages. It is important to realize that you are sharing the road with other pedestrians, bicyclists, truckers, motorcyclists, and motorists. Always drive with caution and respect others on the road.
If you were in an accident because of an aggressive driver, contact the injury attorneys at Goldstein and Bashner. Our experienced and dedicated attorneys will listen and help you get the compensation you deserve. Our office provides free consultations to answer all your questions and let you know what to expect from the legal process.