Long Island Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Long Island has some of the most dangerous roads for pedestrians in the tri-state area, with Hempstead Turnpike topping the list. Nationwide, approximately 5,000 pedestrians are killed and 64,000 injured each year in accidents with motor vehicles. With these significant number of injuries in mind, it is important that those injured consult with a Long Island pedestrian accident lawyer in order to file an injury claim. En Español.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
What causes pedestrian accidents? Some of the most common reasons a Long Island pedestrian accident attorney is contacted include:
- Drivers failing to pay adequate attention to the road
- Aggressive drivers speeding, ignoring traffic signs and running through red lights
- Drivers not yielding the right of way to pedestrians
- Drivers under the influence of alcohol or drugs (DUI)
- Dangerous intersections and poorly designed roadways. For example, traffic experts have determined Hempstead Turnpike has areas with poor sight distance, lights that are too quick for pedestrians, and areas with no island for those walkers who get caught in the middle of this very busy road.
- Driver inattentiveness. This can include talking on the cell phone, texting, eating, and roadside distractions.
Filing An Injury Claim
As you can imagine, when a pedestrian and a car driver collide, it is the pedestrian that gets the brunt of the injuries, often very severe. They can include broken bones, facial wounds, spine and neck injuries and head injuries. In the worst cases, pedestrians are paralyzed or killed. Severe injuries may require weeks or months of rehabilitation, painful operations and time away from work or school.
If you or someone you love was recently injured as a pedestrian due to a driver’s negligence, contact our Long Island pedestrian accident lawyers for a completely free consultation. We’ll explain everything you need to know about your case, answer any questions you have and let you know what you can expect from the legal process. We have offices conveniently located in East Meadow, Central Islip and mid-town Manhattan.