Long Island Boat Accident Lawyer
Whether boating at Captree, Point Lookout, Smith Point or Freeport, Long Island is a great place to enjoy yourself on the waters, but not without the risk of water-related accidents and injuries. Boating accidents can happen on small private boats and large ships, with an experienced captain or boating enthusiast, in the ocean, sea or on a lake. When these accidents occur, injuries may take place potentially creating the need for a Long Island boat accident lawyer. Therefore, if you or a loved one has suffered injuries or other damages in a boat accident, a Long Island injury attorney can assist in filing a claim and recovering damages. To learn more or get started, call and schedule a consultation today.
Determining Fault in a Boat Accident
When a water-related accident occurs, there are many complex legal and safety issues involved. A Long Island boat accident attorney has to answer questions such as:
- Did the injury occur on a privately-owned boat or on a chartered or rented boat?
- Was the operator properly trained?
- Was the operator under the influence of drugs or alcohol or operating the boat recklessly?
- Was the boat properly maintained and regularly inspected?
- Was safety equipment available and properly maintained?
- Did the injured participant sign a waiver or release of liability before engaging in the activity?
- Was the boat itself designed and manufactured properly and in compliance with safety laws and regulations?
The answers to these questions will help determine if the fault lies with the boat manufacturer, the operator, a company providing services with the boat, a company hired to maintain and inspect the boat or another party.
Ferry Accidents in New York
In addition to boat accidents, an individual may also be able to file a claim for any damages sustained in a ferry accident. In these types of accidents a number of parties could be proven negligent including:
- The ferry operator—Was the boat properly maintained? Were all safety regulations followed?
- The captain—Was drugs or alcohol involved? Many legal prescription drugs come with the warning not to operate vehicles, as was the case back in 2003 when a Staten Island ferry captain fell asleep at the wheel after taking painkillers. Eleven people were killed in that accident, and the captain pled guilty to manslaughter.
- New York City—Overseas the ferries and waterways of New York. Were they enforcing rules and regulations?
- The boat manufacturer—Was the accident due to mechanical failure? Was there a defect in the boat design?
Our team of top-notch investigators, medical experts and engineers would work with us to fully investigate the cause of the accident, who was at fault and the extent of any injuries.
How a Long Island Boat Accident Lawyer Can Help
Our Long Island boat accident lawyers work with a team of top-notch investigators, medical experts, engineers and other resources to fully investigate the cause of the accident, who was at fault and the extent of any injuries. We know exactly what is needed to win the case and work tirelessly to get you the maximum compensation you deserve.
If you or a family member has been injured—whether it is a small private boat, a chartered fishing boat, a cruise ship, jet skis or a ferry—our experienced maritime injury lawyers can help you get the maximum settlement you deserve.