Go to navigation Go to content
Phone: (516) 222-4000
Goldstein and Bashner

Do I Need Uninsured or Under-Insured Motorists Coverage in New York State?

One of the most important ways you can protect yourself and your family in a Long Island car accident is by ensuring you have adequate uninsured or under-insured motorist coverage (UM). Why? Nearly 75% of drivers either have no insurance or minimal coverage, which is $25,000 in New York State. So what happens if you are in an accident with a driver who is at fault but has no insurance? Or not adequate insurance to pay for your injuries and damages? You won’t get paid out from their insurance to cover all your losses. This is where UM provides important coverage. UM also provides coverage if:
  • You are in a hit-and-run
  • You are injured while on foot or bicycle by an uninsured or under-insured motorist
  • You are injured in someone else’s vehicle
Every New York policy has a minimum UM coverage ($25,000 per person/$50,000 per accident if 2 or more people are involved). Usually for a very minimal amount, this coverage can b e increased.

How much is good?
We recommend at least $250,000 per person and $500,000 per incident. The difference in your annual premium with this coverage is minimal, usually around $25 per year, but most brokers will not tell you about this important coverage.

Contact Us Today!
If you have any questions about UM, or have recently been in an accident with an uninsured or under-insured driver, contact our offices for a free consultation. There are important guidelines and time limitations, so it is important to discuss your options with an experienced Long Island accident attorney.

Live Chat