Steps to Take Following a Motorcycle Accident in Long Island
Being in a motorcycle accident is a frightening experience that can leave a rider seriously injured, especially since they share the road with larger vehicles and ride with much less structural protection. If you are in a motorcycle accident in Long Island, it is important to take necessary steps to ensure your safety and protect your rights.
Steps to Take Following An Accident
If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident the following at the first steps you should take to ensure the safety of everyone involved and preserve any evidence in case a claim is filed.
- Escape Immediate Danger. Many motorcycle accidents involve fuel leaks and spills or may leave the rider in the roadway prone to oncoming traffic. If you are able to, it is important to make sure you are in a safe spot away from any traffic or fire dangers.
- Get Medical Care. It is important to get immediate medical attention if you are in a motorcycle crash. Even if you think you are fine, symptoms sometimes take hours or even days to appear, so it is important to get checked out. Common injuries include fractures, concussions and other head injuries, neck and spinal cord injuries and road rash.
- Call the police and file a report. A police report will document the accident and identify the parties and any witnesses.
- Collect Other Crucial Information. Take the time to write down a description of any other vehicle involved in the collision, including year, make, model and color-as well as the exact location of the collision and how it happened.
- Take Pictures. Use your cell phone to take pictures of the accident scene, including all the vehicles involved and any damage to each vehicle.
- Identify Witnesses. Get the names and contact information of anyone who saw the accident. This may include passing motorists who stop, any passengers, as well as pedestrians.
- Protect Your Rights. Call a lawyer to find out your rights before you contact your insurance agent. It is important if you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident to contact an accident lawyer immediately. Motorcycle riders are not able to file a no-fault insurance claim, so it is especially important to have a lawyer on your side to investigate the causes of the accident, determine liability and document your injuries. An experienced motorcycle accident lawyer will work to protect your rights and make sure you get the compensation you deserve.