Hit and Run Bicycle Accident: Your Rights and Legal Options

Dangerous city traffic situation with a cyclist and cars in motion blur

Normally, if a driver hits you while you are riding a bicycle in New York, that driver’s car insurance will cover the cost of your injuries and other damages. But if that driver flees the scene of the crash before you can get their contact information, then it can be difficult to get the compensation you deserve.

Fortunately, if you are the victim of a hit and run bicycle accident in New York, you do still have legal options to recover compensation for your damages. If you suffered an injury after a bicycle crash with a hit and run driver, contact the accident attorneys of Goldstein & Bashner to find out more about how you can recover compensation. Call 516-874-4362.

What should I do after a hit and run bicycle accident to preserve my legal rights?

After a hit and run accident, the first thing you should do is seek medical attention for any life-threatening injuries. This is not only important for your health, but your medical records can serve as evidence of your injuries and proof that the accident caused them.

It is also very important to file a police report of the accident. Even if the police cannot locate the hit and run driver, the police report may be a vital part of getting compensation.

It is also a great idea to take photographs of the surrounding area and any damage to your bicycle. Collect contact information from any eyewitnesses to the hit and run. This may be good evidence to prove that you were not at fault should that be important later.

Options to Recover Compensation after a Hit and Run on a Bicycle

Your Own Car Insurance

Under New York law, all automotive insurance policies must provide minimum no-fault coverage of at least $50,000. Even if you were riding your bicycle at the time of the accident, your no-fault auto insurance coverage may still cover you. Further, uninsured motorist (UM) coverage may cover you if the driver who struck you is uninsured or left the scene.

Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation

If you do not have automobile insurance or if your insurer denies your claim, you may be able to file for benefits through New York’s Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation (MVAIC). This is a nonprofit organization that provides compensation to individuals who are unable to get it any other way.

However, MVAIC has strict eligibility requirements. The most important requirement is that you must notify the police of your hit and run accident within 24 hours of the crash. If you do not meet MVAIC’s requirements, your claim will be unsuccessful.

Speak with an Accident Attorney from Goldstein & Bashner

Of course, if the police locate the hit and run driver, you may be able to file a claim with the driver’s insurance company. Contact the Nassau County car accident attorneys at Goldstein & Bashner to review your case and what options may be available to you. Call 516-874-4362 to set up your free initial consultation.

©2024, Goldstein and Bashner All Rights Reserved | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | "Captree Sunset" Photo Credit: Unique Images/Martin Losco