Suffolk County Rear-End Car Accident Lawyer

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, there are about 1.7 million rear-end accidents each year, accounting for nearly 30 percent of all automobile accidents. In 2012 alone, there were 30,477 car accidents in Suffolk County.

While some rear-end collisions may be minor, others have the potential to cause serious injuries, such as head and shoulder injuries, neck injuries, and back injuries. Depending on how hard the impact was, a rear-end collision could also cause serious whiplash.

Rear-end accidents often involve another driver’s negligence. If you suffered injuries in a rear-end collision and believe another party was at fault, contact a Suffolk County rear-end car accident lawyer. A skilled accident attorney can help you pursue compensation today.

Common Causes of Rear-End Car Accidents

Rear-end collisions can happen in the blink of an eye. Oftentimes, some of the most common causes of rear-end collisions include:

  • Driving too close to the front car
  • Driving over the legal speed limit
  • Distracted driving or driving under the influence
  • Driving too aggressive

Liability in Rear-End Car Collisions

Under New York Vehicle and Traffic Code Section 1129, it is unlawful for the driver of a vehicle to follow another car unreasonably close. Even if the front car slams on the breaks, a court will typically presume that the person who rear-ended the front car is at fault.

Suffolk County requires that every owner of a vehicle obtain auto liability insurance that covers up to $10,000 for property damage, $25,000 to $50,000 for bodily injury and $50,000 to $100,000 for the death of a person involved in the accident. Thus, anyone who suffered an injury in a rear-end collision may be able to receive compensation for damages such as medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, and loss of quality of life.

Under New York’s statute of limitations for personal injury claims, an injured person has up to three years to file a claim and recover compensation for a rear-end collision. A Suffolk County attorney could help an injured individual pursue legal action within the state’s required timeframe after a rear-end accident.

What is a Comparative Negligence Rule?

Under Section 1411 of the New York Civil Practice Laws and Rules (CPLR), a party’s negligence will be proportional to the amount the injured party was also negligent. This is the comparative negligence doctrine. It simply means that if a court determined that the injured party was 25 percent at fault and the other was 75 percent at fault, the amount of damages the injured party will be able to recover is reduced by 25 percent.

Call a Suffolk County Rear-End Car Accident Attorney

Although some rear-end collisions can be minor taps at stop signs, others can cause significant damage. If you were involved in a rear-end car accident, you may be suffering from serious whiplash, shoulder injuries, and back injuries. However, if your accident was caused by another person, you may have options.

Contacting a Suffolk County rear-end car accident lawyer as soon as possible is vital to receiving the guidance you need. Retaining a qualified attorney who has experience litigating personal injury claims could make a huge impact on your case and could greatly increase the chances of receiving full compensation for your injuries.

©2024, Goldstein and Bashner All Rights Reserved | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | "Captree Sunset" Photo Credit: Unique Images/Martin Losco