Steps to Take Following a Train Accident in Long Island
Long Island Railroad injuries can be caused by a variety of different reasons. These include:
- Train derailment
- Train collides with another train or other vehicle
- Train hits a pedestrian
- Passenger slips and falls on the train or station platform
- Passenger slips and falls due to gap between train and platform
The injuries from an LIRR, subway, Metro or Amtrak accident can be severe, ranging from bruises and broken bones to serious spinal cord and head injuries and even death.
Steps to Take Following An Accident
If you or someone in your family is involved in a train crash, here are some steps to take to help collect compensation for your injuries and damages:
- Seek medical attention. Sometimes injuries do not seem, at the moment of the accident, as severe as they are. Many times, symptoms can take a few hours or even days to appear. It is important to get checked out and let your doctors know the injuries are the result of an accident.
- Notify the conductor, any transit officials on the scene and the police. You can file a report at a station, such as Penn Station or Jamaica.
- Preserve evidence. Take pictures with your cell phone, get names and numbers of any witnesses and file a police report.
- Contact an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. Because most train accidents involve the government, there is a reduced statutory time limit on the case. A good attorney will investigate the accident, gather evidence of negligence and work for your side to get you the compensation you deserve.
At Goldstein & Bashner, we have extensive experience handling railroad accident cases and will be able to advise you on your best course of action. Our attorneys have nearly 40 years of combined experience of handling cases for both passengers and workers, and we have gained the support of Local 589, a division of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Union due to our strong record of winning cases.
How a Lawyer Can Help
If you’ve been injured in an accident involving a train or at the railroad station, the experienced accident lawyers at Goldstein and Bashner will work to ensure you get the compensation you deserve. Contact us for a free consultation and we will fully discuss your case, answer all your questions and help guide you through the legal process. Our skilled team of investigators will work to determine the cause of the accident and who was responsible for your injuries. Our medical experts will help document your injuries to ensure you are fully compensated for your current and future medical bills as well as property damage, lost wages,
Our skilled team of investigators will work to determine the cause of the accident and who was responsible for your injuries. Our medical experts will help document your injuries to ensure you are fully compensated for your current and future medical bills as well as property damage, lost wages, pain and suffering and any other costs associated with your injury. Contact us today to schedule a consultation. We have offices in Nassau, Suffolk and mid-town Manhattan.