Long Island Texting While Driving Accidents
No matter what road you are riding on around Long Island or New York City, you see many drivers distracted by their phones. Long Island texting while driving accidents have become a major problem, causing severe injuries and taking many lives.
Texting While Driving Statistics:
Auto accidents caused by texting while driving are common in Long Island and across the country. Recent statistics on texting behind the wheel include:
• Drivers who are texting are 23 times more likely to get into an accident.
• At least 1.6 million crashes (28 percent of all crashes) are caused each year by drivers either texting or talking on cell phones.
• 5,500 people were killed in 2009 because of “distracted driving.”
• 71 percent of people between the ages of 18 and 49 admit they text or talk on the phone while they drive.
• In a recent survey, 90 percent of teenage drivers acknowledged such distracted driving behavior as texting or talking on a cell phone although most respondents were aware that the behavior increased the risk of an accident.
• 52 percent of drivers said they feel less safe on the roads now than they did five years ago. The leading reason cited (88 percent) was distracted driving by motorists who drive while texting and emailing.
This danger is why more and more states have made it illegal to send text messages while driving. Young and inexperienced drivers face tougher punishments for texting or using a cell phone in Long Island. As of Nov. 1, 2014, drivers with a probationary license, Class DJ, Class MJ or a learner permit who violate electronic distracted driving laws face a mandatory 120-day license suspension. Second-time offenders (within six months of license restoration) will see a minimum one-year loss of driving privileges.
Despite laws and campaigns to draw attention to the problem, texting while driving crashes continues to be an epidemic. The largest proportion of fatalities were people under 20. There is no text or message that is important enough to risk your life or the lives of your passengers. If you receive a text or want to send one while driving, pull over to the side of the road.
Contact a Long Island Attorney About Texting While Driving Accidents
If you have been injured in an accident caused by someone texting behind the wheel, our personal injury law firm could help you get the full compensation you deserve. Our experienced lawyers have over 40 years of experience working with car accident victims. Contact us today for a free consultation regarding your Long Island texting while driving accident case. We have offices conveniently located in Manhattan and Long Island.