Long Island Texting While Driving Accidents
No matter what road you are riding on around Long Island or New York City, you see many drivers busy texting on their phones. This has become a major problem in the Long Island area and has taken thousands of lives across the country.
Texting While Driving Statistics:
• Drivers who are texting are 23 times more likely to get into an accident.
• At least 1.6 million crashes (28 percent of all crashes) are caused each year by drivers either texting or talking on cell phones.
• 5,500 people were killed in 2009 because of “distracted driving.”
• 71 percent of people between the ages of 18 and 49 admit they text or talk on the phone while they drive.
• In a recent survey, 90 percent of teenage drivers acknowledged such distracted driving behavior as texting or talking on a cell phone although most respondents were aware that the behavior increased the risk of an accident.
• 52 percent of drivers said they feel less safe on the roads now than they did five years ago. The leading reason cited (88 percent) was distracted driving by motorists who drive while texting and emailing.
That is why more and more states, including New York, have made it illegal to send text messages while driving. Young and inexperienced drivers face tougher punishments for texting or using a cell phone in New York. As of Nov. 1, 2014, drivers with a probationary license, Class DJ, Class MJ or a learner permit who violate electronic distracted driving laws face a mandatory 120-day license suspension. Second-time offenders (within six months of license restoration) will see a minimum one-year loss of driving privileges.
Despite laws and campaigns to draw attention to the problem, texting behind the wheel continues to be an epidemic. The largest proportion of fatalities were people under 20. There is no text or message that is important enough to risk your life or the lives of your passengers. If you receive a text or want to send one while driving, pull over to the side of the road.
Contacting An Attorney
If you’ve been injured in an auto accident caused by someone texting and driving, our personal injury law firm can help you get the full compensation you deserve. Our experienced lawyers have over 40 years of experience working with car accident victims. Contact us today for a free consultation regarding your New York car accident case. We have offices conveniently located in Manhattan and Long Island.