A 3-year old and a 1-year old, along with their mother died in New Jersey recently from carbon monoxide poisoning while sitting in their car.
Police said 23-year-old Sashalynn Rosa, her 1 year-old, Messiah, and Saniyah sat in the car to stay warm, while Sashalynn’s boyfriend dug the car out from the snow.
This is truly a sad story. The tailpipe was clogged with snow and carbon monoxide seeped into the running car, killing the mother and infant son. The young girl was unconscious, but was kept alive by paramedics and a bystander.
Sasahlynn was taken to the hospital in critical condition, and died four days later.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas that has no odor or color. But it is very dangerous. It can cause sudden illness and death. CO is found in combustion fumes, such as those made by cars and trucks, lanterns, stoves, gas ranges and heating systems. CO from these fumes can build up in places that don’t have a good flow of fresh air. You can be poisoned by breathing them in. The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are:
Installing Carbon Monoxide detectors in cars could help save lives. Since it has no odor and no color, it’s just too easy for it to make you ill or cause death. We would like to see this become mandatory equipment in all new cars sold, so the consumer is not left to install the devices on their own.
If you have lost a loved one due to carbon monoxide poisoning, you may want to file a wrongful death suit if you believe it was due to someone else’s negligence. To learn more, contact us today at 516-874-0466. Our compassionate lawyers will answer any questions you have.