Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Incidents Increase During Extremely Cold Winter

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Each year we hear about carbon monoxide injuries and deaths from people being poisoned by the toxic odorless gas. Winter in particular poses an increased threat, as many struggle to keep their business or residences warm, without good fresh air flow and often faulty heating equipment. Residents of an apartment building in Bay Shore were evacuated in Feb 2015 due to elevated levels of carbon monoxide, and Islip town officials have now shut down the building due to code violations.

The building located at 41 S. Clinton Ave. is an old home that was converted into apartments. Town officials say it is home to 15 tenants, and it was a coincidence that the gas was detected.

A resident called the town because of an issue involving a car blocking an entrance to the building. A fire marshal entered the structure equipped with a carbon monoxide detector and found elevated levels of the odorless, poisonous gas.

It is so important to have carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home and place of business. Also, never run a car in a garage without the door being open, or in a closed building. Two young men died in a Holbrook Auto Shop this month as well. Fifth Precinct officers responded and found one of the men inside lying next to his 1989 GMC van, which had apparently been left running. The van’s ignition was turned on and the heat was on high, police said. The van appeared to have run out of gas. Officers found the second man lying on a mattress in the back of the van, police said. Both men occasionally slept at the business and were apparently overcome by the van’s fumes.

If you have lost a loved one due to carbon monoxide poisoning, you may want to file a wrongful death suit. To learn more, contact us today at 516-874-0466. Our compassionate lawyers will answer any questions you have.

©2024, Goldstein and Bashner All Rights Reserved | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | "Captree Sunset" Photo Credit: Unique Images/Martin Losco