Can You Sue When Your Child is Injured at a Long Island Park?

Park Injury Lawyer

Long Island’s many town, county and state parks—including Eisenhower Park, Cantiague Park, Bethpage State Park, Heckscher Park and Wantagh Park—are the unfortunate site of many injuries that come from kids and families running and playing outdoors. Accidents and injuries may result from:

  • Broken or defective playground equipment
  • Fields that are not properly maintained
  • Broken pavement
  • Pools that are not properly treated or maintained

As with any other slip and fall or accident case—when an injury occurs on someone’s property due to their negligence, you may have a lawsuit. In order to have a chance of winning this type of lawsuit, you must prove that the park was either put on notice or should have known about the issue that caused the injury.

In other words, an accident on a broken swing may be a case if you know the swing has been broken for months and people have complained to the town or state, or if the park itself.

Personal Injury Claims Against Towns, Counties and States Have Filing Time Limitations

It is important to know that cases against towns, counties or states have strict time limitations, so it is crucial that you consult a skilled Long Island personal injury lawyer as soon as possible to make a decision about pursuing your case. You must first file a notice of claim within 90 days of the incident. If this claim is not filed in time, you generally can’t file a lawsuit unless you apply for special permission to get a delay.

It is also essential to file against the correct municipality. You will need to know if the park is a town, county, state or national park.

Contact Us Today

Our skilled accident attorneys have the knowledge and experience to handle your municipal lawsuit and get you the settlement you deserve. When you depend on our experienced team of injury attorneys, you get knowledge, experience and a record of results handling cases against the city or state on your side.

If you or a loved one has been injured in a Long Island town, county or state, playground or other city-owned facility, we will help you fight for the maximum compensation you are owed. Contact our attorneys at 516-217-9097 for a free, no-obligation consultation. We will sit down with you to discuss your case, answer all your questions and let you know what you can expect from the legal process.

Y/blog/my-child-was-injured-on-a-school-playgroundou may also be interested in reading:

What You Need to Know if my Child Was Injured at a School Playground

©2024, Goldstein and Bashner All Rights Reserved | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | "Captree Sunset" Photo Credit: Unique Images/Martin Losco