Thirteen people were sent to the hospital yesterday in the Melrose section of the Bronx, due to a carbon monoxide leak. Firefighters responded to a call of a person with difficulty breathing just after 4 a.m. at an apartment building located at 232 East 165th Street in Melrose. Colorless, odorless and poisonous, carbon monoxide kills nearly 500 Americans and causes 15,200 emergency room visits each year. Effects of carbon monoxide poisoning can include headaches, dizziness, weakness, vomiting, chest pain, confusion and, in some cases, long-lasting neurologic damage.
The FDNY concluded after investigation, that the cause of the elevated CO readings was due to a gas leak from a faulty furnace. The gas was turned off and the building was ventilated. The five-story multiple dwelling with 14 residential units will not have the gas turned back on until the landlord makes repairs. The owner has been issues violations.
Faulty gas furnaces cause more carbon monoxide poisoning than any other source, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Center for Environmental Health. Other sources, too, such as gas appliances, gas or wood-burning stoves, fireplaces and generators may expose you to excessive levels of carbon monoxide. To avoid this you need proper ventilation, and co detectors.
If you or a family member have suffered an illness, injury or disease from carbon monoxide poisoning, contact the lawyers Goldstein and Bashner for a free case evaluation. We will answer any questions you may have and if we are hired as your lawyers, we will fight to get you the maximum compensation you deserve. Call today at 516-874-0466.