A sexual assault is defined as being the victim of any unwanted physical contact. This includes touching, fondling, molestation, or rape. Unfortunately, hundreds of thousands of people fall victim to sexual assaults each and every year. Victims of sexual assaults are exposed to immense amounts of physical and emotional damage. Because of such trauma, people often feel too ashamed and frightened to speak about their horrific experiences. Experts estimate that approximately 80 percent of sexual assault victims are hesitant about disclosing that they have been assaulted. At Goldstein and Bashner, we want to see this number fall. We want to provide victims with competent and compassionate legal guidance so that they can be assisted through a truly difficult and challenging time.
"I think I have been the victim of a sexual assault. What should I do?"
It is important to know that there are organizations and people that can help you. The first thing you should do is report the incident to the police as soon as possible. The quicker you report the assault, the more you will remember the details of the experience. Also, your case will be stronger and you can reach out for help and start the healing process.
What to Do Following a Sexual Assault
- Go to the police. It is advised that victims to not shower or change their clothes. Doing so may eliminate valuable forms of evidence and will thus make your case much harder to prove.
- Seek immediate medical attention. Assault victims should look to get treatment for any injuries that they may have sustained. Also, victims may want to get tested for STDs and obtain emergency contraceptives. Make sure to keep records for an medical treatments that you have received.
- Look to family and friends for emotional support. Being the victim of a sexual assault is a truly traumatic experience. Close family and friends can help victims get through the challenging times that often follow an assault.
- There are many organizations that can help, including RAINN (Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network) and Safe Horizon.
- Obtain legal advice. Assault victims may be able to file criminal charges and bring about civil lawsuits against the assailant as well as other parties who may be responsible for the attack.
We Are Here to Help You
We are here not only for expert legal support, but have also been able to be a close confident and source of guidance, help and information for our clients. Most important, we fight to obtain maximum compensation for any physical or emotional damages that our clients suffered. We make sure to find and go after all parties that are at fault.
Contact Our Experienced Lawyers Today
At Goldstein and Bashner, we have extensive experience in dealing with sexual assault cases in the New York and Long Island areas. We have helped to serve victims as both a close companion and as competent legal advisers. We have helped numerous assault victims overcome the terrible wrong doings that they have had to encounter. In doing so, we have assisted victims in recovering monetary compensation for the physical and emotional injuries that they may have sustained. If you or somebody you care for has been the victim of a sexual assault, please contact our sexual assault lawyers at 516-222-4000 for a free consultation.