Concussion Injuries in Long Island
With Long Island sports becoming more competitive and serious at younger ages, it is not surprising that there has been increased concern about concussions. A concussion is a traumatic brain injury (TBI) that can occur after being hit by a ball, colliding with another player, falling, being tackled or having one’s head hit or shaken in any other way.
The signs and symptoms of a concussion can be subtle and may not immediately be apparent, which is why it is important for a player to sit out and be examined if there is any chance of a head injury. In addition, a Long Island school injury attorney should be consulted to assist in recovering damages for any medical bills.
Signs and Symptoms of a Concussion
Signs and symptoms of a concussion may include:
- A headache or a feeling of pressure in the head
- Temporary loss of consciousness
- Feeling dazed
- Amnesia surrounding the traumatic event
- Ringing in the ears
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Slurred speech
- Delayed response to questions
When student-athletes and professionals aren’t properly protected as best as possible from concussions, there may be a liability on the part of the team, school, coach, trainer, sports facility or overseeing sports organization or league. This includes:
- Ensuring that there is proper safety gear or equipment
- Equipment and gear are well maintained and up to safety standards
- Injured child is taken out of game or practice after possible head injury
- Injured child is given medical assistance if necessary
- Ensuring there is proper supervision
- Making sure drills, exercises and activities are safe and appropriate
Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer
If you or your child suffers a sports-related concussion, our Long Island sports accident attorneys can help determine if you are entitled to compensation. It is important to contact us as soon as possible so that we can best collect the necessary evidence and ensure you get the medical attention you need immediately.
Our lawyers work with top-notch investigators and medical experts. We will ensure you get the medical attention you need (we work with excellent doctors and can give recommendations, but you are always free to use your own doctor). We will help determine all liable parties and collect evidence that will maximize your recovery.