I slipped and fell at a public park or building. Who do I sue?

If you are injured in a public park or building—such as a school, post office, government building—you need to sue the proper municipality responsible for that site. So for a county park, such as Eisenhower Park, you would sue Nassau County. Because there are stricter timeframes and specific forms and procedures when you sue the government, it is important to have an experienced lawyer help to ensure that the proper paperwork is filed in time and then help build you a strong case backed up with evidence.

The first step the lawyer will do for you is file a Notice of Claim with the proper municipality you intent to sue. A Notice of Claim is a legal document describing the accident and informing the city of your intent to sue. In New York and New Jersey, you have 90 days to file a Notice of Claim or you lose the right to sue. That is why it is so important to contact a lawyer as soon as possible and make your intent known.

Want more information? Give us a call and let us answer any questions you have. If you think you have a case, we can sit down with you to fully discuss your accident and let you know

©2024, Goldstein and Bashner All Rights Reserved | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | "Captree Sunset" Photo Credit: Unique Images/Martin Losco