Bronx Workers’ Compensation Lawyer
The New York state legislature enacted a workers’ benefits program in hopes of enabling injured workers to swiftly obtain money they need. What the program does not do is offer a large award for pain and suffering.
Also, the state program does not offer damages for another’s negligence. Instead, it provides coverage of some medical expenses and a portion of lost income following an injury.
As a general rule, it is not prudent for injured employees to represent themselves in matters relating to workers’ compensation claims. Instead, an experienced Bronx workers’ compensation lawyer can assist injured workers with hurdles found within the workers’ compensation process.
Moreover, an experienced personal injury attorney can provide guidance and take the lead on any potential claim against third-parties seeking compensation for the injuries sustained.
Injuries That Qualify for Workers’ Compensation
In order to be covered under the compensation laws in New York, an injury-causing event has to fall into the categories set forth below:
- The disability, injury, or illness suffered happened as a result of the person’s employment position and while they were performing company responsibilities.
- A doctor’s report indicates that their illness, disability, or injury was due to an on-the-job condition or accident.
- A written notice was provided to the employer, describing the event that caused the illness or injury within 30 days of the event.
- They must be employed with a company and in a position that is required to maintain workers’ compensation coverage under New York law.
Apart from, and in addition to an individual’s claims under the New York workers’ compensation program, a Bronx workers’ compensation lawyer can assist clients with potential third-party actions that they may wish to move forward with. Third-party legal actions have no dollar limits, and generally, third-party actions exceed the compensation benefits in the State program.
Third-party claims can be brought against contractors, owners, subcontractors, and additional negligent parties, other than a person’s employer.
Types of Workers’ Compensation Claims
Some of the more common types of workers’ compensation claims that a Bronx workers’ compensation attorney can help with are as set forth as follows:
- Gas, toxic, and asbestos exposure
- Construction accidents
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Auto accidents on the job
- Fatal work accidents and injuries
- Slip and fall injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Vision and hearing loss
- Shoulder, knee, and elbow injuries
Speak with a Bronx Workers’ Compensation Attorney Today
New York law tends to benefit injured workers. Even if it may appear to you that you do not have much of a case against another party, it is only prudent to consult with an experienced Bronx workers’ compensation lawyer to understand the complete extent of your rights. An attorney with years of experience battling for the rights of injured parties is an invaluable asset and can help you get the damages you deserve.