Dozens of Hempstead residents were left homeless by a fire that roared through a seven-story Hempstead Village apartment building Sunday evening. More than 300 firefighters from 30 volunteer departments battled the blaze at 590 Fulton St.
Frightened residents were evacuated, some rescued through their opened windows, as flames and smoke filled apartments. Fire officials believe the fire was started after a stove malfunctioned in a second floor apartment shortly after 6pm.
There were no life-threatening injuries. Twenty-nine residents, one Hempstead Village police officer and one Baldwin firefighter were taken to local hospitals, police said. Most of the victims were treated for smoke inhalation, while the firefighter was treated for what police called "cardiac issues."
Residents spent the night in a temporary shelter at Hempstead High School, police and fire officials said. The blaze is believed to have destroyed 12 apartments, one fire official said. Officials said they hoped to allow residents back into the building Monday.
Of Related Interest: