Whether you and your children are swimming at Echo Park, Eisenhower Park, Dix Hills Park, in a neighbor’s pool, your own backyard, a town pool or at camp, it is important to make sure safety precautions are taken. Here in New York State, hundreds of people drown or are hospitalized after swimming pool accidents with severe injuries.
Here's What You Can Do To Keep Your Children Safer at a Long Island Swimming Pool
- Watch your children at all times when at a pool
- Secure the pool area with a gate and lock
- Enforce a buddy rule so no one is swimming alone
- Teach children basic water safety tips
- Make sure any child who can’t properly swim has a life vest or other safety apparel
- Keep children away from pool drains, pipes and other openings to avoid entrapments
- Make sure kids know be cautious and not run in the pool area, which is often very slippery
- If a child is missing, look for them in the pool first
- Have a cell phone on hand for emergencies
- Never swim at a public pool after hours when there is no lifeguard on duty
- Only dive in areas that are specifically marked safe and deep enough for diving
Swimming accidents can be very serious, resulting in broken bones, traumatic brain injuries, spinal injuries, paralysis and even death.
Can I sue for my child’s injuries from a pool accident?
If a pool accident is the result of the owner’s negligence or faulty equipment, you may be able to successfully sue for compensation. Pool owners must follow legal guidelines and take every precaution to keep swimmers safe from foreseeable accidents. However, some actions, like running around the pool when it is slippery or diving into marked shallow waters are obvious dangers and do not create liability for the pool owner.
Were You or a Family Member Injured at a Pool? We Can Help
Give our Long Island personal injury lawyers a call today at 516-222-4000. We can help ensure you get the maximum compensation you deserve. We offer free consultations to help answer your questions and discuss the best course of action. Our lawyers are experienced handling these cases and we can help ensure you get the compensation you need to help pay medical costs, pain and suffering and all other related costs.
Related Articles of Interest: