Hiring a personal injury lawyer is intimidating enough for any Long Island family, so we understand how overwhelming the process may seem when a special needs individual is involved. When a child or adult with cerebral palsy, Down Syndrome, autism, a behavioral disorder, traumatic brain injury, or any physical or psychological disorder is involved in an accident, their legal rights are just as important as anyone else’s, so it essential that the legal strategy takes into account their best interests and special considerations.
What Special Considerations Need to Be Made?
If you are looking for a personal injury lawyer, there are certain considerations you may want to take into account if there is a special needs individual involved:
- How traumatic was this incident? Has this recent accident aggravated any psychological issues? This may influence a decision for a quicker settlement
- Is the individual psychologically able to handle involvement in the case? Is the individual able to cope with being put on the stand? Is that in their best interest?
- Are they psychologically able to handle involvement in the case?
- Are there any special provisions that need to be made at the trial so the individual is able to testify or share their side of the story in another way?
- Is the benefit to them of their testimony outweighing any emotional, psychological or physical difficulties they may encounter?
- Are they already receiving social services? How can these be protected?
- How will any money rewarded be safeguarded?
Our Long Island lawyers treat all our clients with the same compassion. We have worked with individuals with a wide spectrum of special needs and have helped them and their families successfully get the compensation they deserve.
Let Us Know Your Concerns
Have you or a family member been in a recent accident that was someone else’s fault? Are you nervous about calling an attorney because a special needs individual is involved? Let us ease your fears—give us a call for a free consultation and to ask any questions and let us know any special concerns or reservations you have about taking legal action. We are on your side to help fight for your rights and we will do our best to make the entire legal process as easy as possible.