What should you do if you're the victim of a hit and run accident? When drivers of cars and trucks are involved in an accident, it is their responsibility to stop at the scene. Hit-and-run drivers ignore these laws, cowardly fleeing the accident instead of taking responsibility, providing assistance, and notifying authorities.
If you're a victim of a hit-and-run, here are five important actions to take:
- 1. Call the police and get a police report. This provides a record of the accident. The police will work to help find the perpetrator.
- 2. Take pictures. It is a good idea to keep a disposable camera in your car or carry a cell phone with a camera. Taking pictures after an accident will help prove your damages and you may even be able to snap a shot of the perpetrator's car.
- 3. Go to the hospital. Sometimes injuries sustained in car accidents aren't evident at first, but it's vital that you are checked out for your own health and also to have evidence of injuries.
- 4. Find any witnesses and get their contact information. Witnesses may have information vital to the case. They may have caught a glimpse of the car or even gotten the license plate. In a recent hit-and-run case we handled, a witness was key in finding the perpetrator. He had managed to get both a car description and the license plate of the perpetrator.
- 5. Seek legal advice. Personal injury lawyers have the experience, legal knowledge, and access to investigators to help you get the compensation you deserve. When the perpetrator can't be found, compensation can be still be pursued through other sources. Sometimes the injury victim's own uninsured motorist insurance can be used. In New York, the Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation (MVAIC) was established to help provide another source of coverage for those in accidents with unidentified or uninsured drivers.
A competent attorney understands the system and knows the games insurance companies play. Insurance companies don't want to pay out money and will try and get you the lowest settlement they can. A lawyer works for you and has your best interests in mind.
Goldstein and Bashner has been handling New York hit and run accidents for nearly 20 years and we know how to fight for our clients and get results. We recently won a large settlement for a client involved in a car accident on the Grand Central Parkway. The car that caused the accident had sped away and--as is often the case-the driver was not insured. But we fought for our client and got her the settlement she deserved.
Contact Goldstein and Bashner today!
If you or someone close to you has been injured by a hit-and-run driver, contact our experienced lawyers for a free consultation. We'll sit down with you and explain your case, answer any questions you have, and walk you through the legal process. Most importantly, we'll fight for your legal rights and make sure you get the compensation you deserve.