High schools and middle schools have a responsibility to keep its students safe while they are in school. This includes ensuring:
- Adequate supervision
- Proper security measures
- Well-maintained structures and equipment
- Compliance of new bullying laws
- Sufficient lighting
- Proper procedural guidelines for emergencies
If your child is injured at school, there are specific steps you should take if you think you have a legal claim against the school.
- Make sure the school knows about the accident. If your child did not go to the nurse, then call the school to inform them of the injury.
- Inform any doctor your child sees as a result of these injuries that it was a school accident. In addition to noting this to the medical records, they will need to file a special report.
- Because a school is a government entity, you are required to file a Notice of Claim against the city or town where the school is located. A Notice of Claim is a legal document describing the accident and informing the city of your intent to sue. In New York and New Jersey, you have 90 days to file a Notice of Claim or you lose the right to sue.
A competent personal injury attorney will guide you through the process and launch a thorough investigation to help build your case. They will examine the school’s role in the accident, the extent and impact of the injuries and show that they were the result of a preventable accident that occurred at the school.
Your lawyer will work a team that can include school officials and administrators, teachers, doctors and medical experts, investigators and engineers or other specialists that can inspect the site of the accident. In addition to taking care of the details, a good lawyer will keep you informed of any progress on the case and let you know what you can expect at each step of the process.
Let Goldstein and Bashner Help You Win Your Case
At Goldstein and Bashner, our experienced school injury lawyers work with a team of top investigators, experts and engineers to ensure we get the maximum compensation for your child's injury. We know what information is needed to win these cases and put all our efforts and resources into ensuring you get the results you deserve. Has your child been injured at school? Contact us today for a free consultation and let us go over your case and answer all your questions. We have three convenient locations on Long Island and New York City.