Driver fatigue is a serious and dangerous problem on New York highways. Roads such as the Long Island Expressway and the New York Thruway have seen horrific accidents due to driver fatigue. The Walmart truck driver accused of causing a crash in New Jersey that critically injured comedianTracy Morgan and killed another comedian had not slept for more than 24 hours, according to a criminal complaint filed following the accident. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimate that there are 56,000 sleep related road crashes annually in the USA, resulting in 40,000 injuries and 1,550 fatalities.
It is important to set a plan for long trips and take steps to avoid fatigue.
Here are 9 Important Tips if You are Planning a Long Road Trip That Can Save Your Life
- Plan regular breaks-ideally every 2-3 hours.
- Get a good night's sleep the day before your trip.
- Share the driving, if possible.
- Plan to stay somewhere overnight if you are going on a long journey and avoid heavy foods.
- Try to avoid driving when you are normally sleeping--very late at night or very early in the morning.
- Don't rely on caffeine. Coffee and soda provides a quick, but short-lived improvement in alertness. Better to stay hydrated with water and eat healthy snacks.
- Check if any medications you are on cause drowsiness.
- Use air conditioning to help keep you comfortable and more alert in warm weather.
- If you feel drowsy, pull over. Even a 20-25 minute nap can keep you feeling refreshed and alert.
When drivers fall asleep at the wheel, they put their passengers and everyone else on the road at risk. If you or someone you love was in an accident caused by someone else falling asleep at the wheel, it is important to know your legal rights and get proper representation. If you suffer injuries, you may be entitled to compensation.
Our lawyers have more than 20 years of experience handling New York accident cases, and we will provide a completely free no-obligation consultation to discuss your case. We will also walk you through the legal process and answer any questions you have. Goldstein and Bashner has offices conveniently located in Manhattan and Long Island.
Additional Areas of Interest: