When a pedestrian is struck by a car, truck, or even a bicycle, it is considered a pedestrian accident. Long Island roads are becoming increasingly congested. With more motor vehicles and even bicycles on the road, there is a greater chance of a pedestrian being involved in an accident. Pedestrian accidents can happen to anyone, at anytime, anywhere. The injuries of a collision between a bicycle and a pedestrian are less frequent, but could be just as catastrophic as injuries from a motor vehicle. Injuries can range from cuts and bruises to broken bones, or even death.
Statistically speaking, New York State averages nearly 300 pedestrian fatalities annually. Here are some pedestrian safety tips you should keep in mind:
- If you walk, use sidewalks when available, and stay on the left side of the street, facing traffic, if you must walk in the road.
- Cross with care. Make eye contact with drivers and wait until traffic has stopped before you cross.
- Pay attention. Avoid distractions such as texting.
- Get noticed. Wear bright clothes and reflective gear, especially in low light or poor weather.
- Be predictable. Use crosswalks and intersections. Never jaywalk.
- Heads up at intersections. Don't start to cross on the flashing hand or countdown signal. Finish crossing quickly if you've already started.
Even when great care is taken, accidents still happen. Some of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Inoperable or defective pedestrian crosswalk
- Inattentive, distracted, or preoccupied drivers (including bicycle drivers)
- Failure to obey traffic signals, signs, and laws
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Running a red light
- Failure to stop at a stop sign
- Failure to yield right of way.
If you or your loved one has been injured or wrongfully killed in a pedestrian accident, it is important to contact a skilled attorney to protect your rights. Pedestrians should not fear for their safety every time they walk on a sidewalk or in an intersection. Here at the law firm of Goldstein and Bashner, we can help. With the legal knowledge and experience to represent you competently and the personal experience to handle your matter with care and delicacy, you can rest assured knowing that you are in good hands. We can help you to collect monetary compensation for your pedestrian accident. Call us today for a no cost consultation at 888-NYLAW12