There is nothing more sobering than being pulled over for a DWI. You’re facing possible jail time, losing your license, a criminal record—even losing your job. You may feel helpless, anxious, afraid and ashamed and think that there is nothing you can do—but that is simply not true. Choosing the right Long Island DWI attorney can make all the difference in having someone aggressively fight your case, challenge your arrest and possible get the DWI dismissed completely or reduced to a lesser offense.
Choose the right Long Island DWI attorney to aggressively fighting your case. Contact us today.
What can we do for you?
From the outset, our expert Long Island DWI lawyer is the working on your side. We will aggressively examine each stage in the arrest and look for mistakes that can work in your defense. Police have strict protocols to follow when making a DWI arrest. Plenty of times mistakes are made that can work in your defense. Our experienced lawyers will diligently examine each part of the arrest for any breaks in protocols or evidence that can work in your defense. We will check every aspect of the arrest and charges, including:
- Did the policeman who pulled you over have probable cause? You cannot be stopped arbitrarily for suspicion of drunk driving. If we can get the court to rule that there was not reasonable suspicion for the traffic stop, then the charge is dismissed.
- Were the results of field sobriety tests that officer might have administered at the traffic stops influenced by other factors, such as medication, medical issues, vision issues, roadside distractions, nerves, fatigue & fear?
- When the officer arrested you, did he have probable cause? Even after legitimately pulling you over for suspicion, an officer must have probable cause to arrest you. Bad driving is not a valid reason for a DWI arrest.
- Was protocol met when you were arrested? Were you read your Miranda Rights?
- Were any chemical tests given to you to check blood alcohol content administered properly? Were results influenced by other factors, such as medication or recent food that was consumed?
The penalties in New York State are getting stiffer for drunk driving offenses.
A driver that is arrested for their first DWI offense can:
- Lose their driver’s license for at least 6 months
- Must pay up to $2,500 in fines;
- Spend up to year in jail
- Participate in a Drinking Driver Program (DDP)
- Must put in and maintain an ignition interlock on any vehicle they own or operate for at least 6 months
That is why it is so important to have a skilled lawyer working on your side. Having a Long Island DWI lawyer fight for your case can mean the difference between losing or keeping your job, staying out of jail and avoiding a criminal record.
In the event you or anyone you love is facing DWI charges, contact us today. Don’t wait—let our experienced lawyers start fighting for you now to help you get your charges reduced or eliminated completely. Call us today!