Construction is a dangerous vocation. There are very few jobs in the world where a normal day can end with a hard-working person being killed by falling steel beam. In New York, construction workers represent the greatest percentage of worker fatalities. The most common dangers are:
- Struck by an object
- “Caught-in” accidents (when workers are caught inside or in between different objects)
These accidents are usually very serious and are devastating for the worker and his or her family.The laws in New York recognize the dangers that construction workers confront every day and seek to protect workers by holding property owners, developers and general contractors responsible. Many work site accidents are avoidable. The law makes them liable if someone is injured or killed because they failed to provide a safe work environment. Worker safety laws must remain strong to reduce the number of construction worker injuries and deaths. The laws apply to undocumented workers as well. Don't be afraid of deportation, you have rights even if you are in the US illegally. Consult with a lawyer if you were hurt on a construction site.
What you should do if you are injured on a construction job:
- Get medical attention. Make sure to take care of medical needs immediately. Make sure to get records of treatment from all doctors to document your injuries.
- Report the accident. Reporting the accident as soon as it occurs will document the incident.
- Take pictures. You can use your phone to take pictures and/or video of the location where the accident occurred. This may help shed insight into why the accident occurred and who is at fault. It also helps document the accident (as you can see from the theme here, documenting an incident is very important).
- Identify witnesses. Make sure to get names and numbers of anyone who saw the accident.
- Protect Your Rights. Call a lawyer to find out your rights before you talk to insurance agents, company investigators or anyone else. A lawyer will be working on your side to help ensure you get the maximum compensation you deserve. Insurance and company representatives are trying to settle for as little as possible.
How Our Long Island construction Attorneys Can Help You
Our Long Island construction accident attorneys have 40 years combined of representing construction site accident victims throughout Long Island and New York City. We work closely with top-notch investigators and medical experts to gather all the necessary evidence and documentation to get you the maximum compensation you deserve. If you or a close family member were injured on a construction site, contact us for a free consultation. We can answer all your questions, discuss your legal options and determine the best course of action for you to take. There is no obligation and never a fee until we get you money in a settlement or verdict.
Call us at 516-222-4000 or contact us through our webform!
You May Also Be Inerested In Reading: