As the cold weather approaches, you may start to hear about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. Just this month in NJ, two people were killed and 12 others were injured by carbon monoxide poisoning at Streets Rehearsal Studio, a recording studio located in a converted factory building. In February, the store manager of Legal Sea Foods in Huntington Station, NY also died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon Monoxide is an odorless, tasteless and colorless gas. We urge you to protect you and your family by reviewing the following safety tips:
- Have your home heating systems (including chimneys and vents) inspected and serviced annually by a trained service technician.
- Never use portable generators inside homes or garages, even if doors and windows are open. Use generators outside only, far away from the home.
- Never bring a charcoal grill into the house for heating or cooking. Do not barbeque in the garage.
- Never use a gas range or oven for heating.
- Open the fireplace damper before lighting a fire and keep it open until the ashes are cool. An open damper may help prevent build-up of poisonous gases inside the home.
- Install battery-operated CO alarms or CO alarms with battery backup in your home outside separate sleeping areas.
Know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning: headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, sleepiness, and confusion. If you suspect CO poisoning, get outside to fresh air immediately, and then call 911.
If you lost a close family member to carbon monoxide poisoning and believe it was due to someone else’s negligence, contact us today. We can help. As part of our free consultation, we’ll discuss your case, let you know what you can expect from the legal process and answer all your questions.
Related Article of Interest: